New St. Mark Baptist Church History…
St. Mark Baptist Church was organized in 1939 under the leadership of Reverend Isaac J. Gilliam. The first church was located at 1016 Linden Avenue in Baltimore, Maryland. As the membership grew, the church later moved to 310 Hoffman Street. Pastor Gilliam worked hard to expand St. Mark Baptist Church with his strong determination and faith. The word “New” was added to the name of the church on October 26, 1948 thus becoming New St. Mark Baptist Church. In March 1951, the church relocated to 1725 Division Street. On August 8, 1972 Pastor Gilliam was called home to forever be with the Lord.
Following Pastor Gilliam’s death, Reverend Allen Jones became Acting Pastor. On December 4, 1972 Reverend Allen Jones was installed as Pastor. Under his leadership, New St. Mark was uplifted spiritually. Consequently, New St. Mark again experienced significant growth. During this period, Pastor Jones was inspired to build a new edifice. On April 6, 1980 a triumphant motorcade of members and friends moved from 1725 Division Street to our present worship center, here at 3905 Springdale Avenue. In November 1993 Rev. Jones retired from Pastoral duties after twenty-one years of service to God’s people. He served as Pastor Emeritus until his passing on May 15, 2001.
Following Pastor Allen Jones’ retirement, Elder Donald Major was called as Pastor-Elect of New St. Mark Baptist Church in October 1994. Installed in November 1995, he served until March 1997.
In September 1998 Dr. Bowyer G. Freeman was called as Pastor of New St. Mark Baptist Church. He began serving on November 1, 1998. Since that time, Pastor Freeman has been inspired to advance the vision for “Spiritual Regeneration, Social Transformation, Community Reconciliation, and Physical Restoration” among the Saints at New St. Mark Baptist Church and the surrounding community. Through his Pastoral leadership, the Church has acquired additional property for future expansion, implemented a Technology Ministry designed to lessen the digital divide within the African-American Community, and is moving from Membership to Discipleship.